If you’re in New York and interested in getting medical marijuana, well, most probably you have tried using Cannabis for quite some time or tried it once for medical purposes or just for leisure. Medical Marijuana has been in a whirlwind process of being legalized in some states in the United States. Now, people in different states especially in New York are interested in becoming legal and registered patients to get a Medical Marijuana Card under New York’s Medical Marijuana Laws.
“Questions like how to get the card?” and “Is it a difficult process?” are surely clouding up your mind. The thing is, back then, it’s really difficult to acquire the card but due to chronic pain being added to the list of conditions to become a legal patient to use Marijuana, it has been made easier to qualify and get a Marijuana card in New York.
Getting the card legally would require you to have a doctor’s recommendation. Here’s a guide on how to get the card properly.
How to Get Medical Marijuana Card in New York
Next, you need to have a written consent or certification from a registered doctor. There are 800 doctors in New York that are allowed and registered to give the certificate. You can visit them personally or consult with them online but make sure that they’re authorized.
It is actually good to visit your doctor personally and seek advice if medical marijuana will help you with your condition; if your physician concludes that it would be appropriate for you to try medical marijuana. Make sure that your doctor is registered in the New York State Department of Health’s Medical Marijuana Program for him/her to issue the certificate and if not, your doctor can refer you to other doctors that are in the same program. Make sure to have all your details and medical records submitted to the authorized doctor that will give you the certificate.
However, it’s hard to find medical marijuana doctors that are registered in the program in NY since the Department of Health in the state doesn’t publicize the doctors’ information. This makes the telehealth or getting the certification online easier and more efficient for a lot of patients.
Medical Marijuana Requirements
The requirements for obtaining New York’s Medical Marijuana Card is to have one considered condition like Cancer, HIV positive status, AIDS, Parkinson’s Disease, Epilepsy, Lou Gehrig’s Disease (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Spasticity, Huntington’s Disease, Neuropathies and Chronic disease.
- Once the doctor has confirmed that you have the said conditions for medical marijuana, the doctor will give you the written recommendation. After getting the recommendation you need to complete an application on www.ny.gov for a New York Medical Marijuana Card.
- Then, submit the application to the indicated state authority, you need to pay $50 for the application fee and provide your proof of residency and identification to qualify.
- After that, your trusted doctor will give you the necessary instructions to complete the registration process. As soon as the application is approved you’ll get the card in your mail then you can purchase medical marijuana. Make sure to bring your card and certification.
Rules in Accessing Medical Marijuana
When it comes to purchasing medical marijuana there is a set of rules you need to follow even though you have been approved and have the card.
- Your Medical Marijuana Card can only purchase recommended types of medical marijuana that are sold in state-monitored infirmaries and is connected with 5 different registered organization in NY.
- Liquids, oils for vaporizing, inhalers, or capsules are the types of medical marijuana that are only sold legally for pick up and consumption.
- Remember, eating and smoking the cannabis plant is still illegal and is not included in the medical marijuana types that are approved by the New York State Law.
So if you’re wondering where to buy medical marijuana, here’s the list of the 5 registered organizations that can legally distribute the products in the state of New York.
- Bloomfield Industries, Inc.– Bloomfield recommends its patients to call them and make an appointment for easier and better service. Their dispensaries are located in Williamsville (52 South Union Road, Suite 102), Salina (1304 Buckley Road, Suite 106), and Lake Success (2001 Marcus Avenue, Suite W75).
- Columbia Care NY LLC – Columbia Care has 4 dispensaries in New York that provide good products and educates their patients properly. You can make an appointment or walk-in during specific hours. They are located in New York City
(212 E 14th Street), Riverhead (1333 E Main Street), Plattsburgh (345 Cornelia Street), and Rochester (200 West Ridge Road).
- Etain LLC – A family-owned business that produces safe products. You can make appointments online and visit their 4 dispensaries in Albany (402 North Pearl Street), Kingston (445 State Route 28), Syracuse (2140 Erie Boulevard East), and Yonkers (55 Main Street).
- PharmaCannis LLC – this organization has 4 dispensaries and informative websites that educate clients about their product. They have available locations in Amherst (25 Northpointe Parkway, Suite #30), Liverpool (642 Old Liverpool Road), Albany (10 Executive Park Drive), and Bronx (405 Huntspoint Avenue).
- Vireo Health of New York LLC – offers online orders and deliveries, however, you need to make an online or personal appointment before purchasing medical marijuana. Their 4 dispensaries are located in White Plains
(221-223 E. Post Road), Queens (89-55 Queens Boulevard), Binghamton (589 Harry L Drive Johnson City, NY), and Albany (38 Fuller Road)