As if we did not love Cinco de Mayo enough, July 24th is National Tequila Day. What makes this event equally as great as drinking is that this year it falls on a Friday. Now there is no need for an excuse to call out of work the next day! This calls for a double shot. These are two drinks that are a must for this monumental event:
Created by Presley’s Pantry
– 5 ounces vegetable juice
– 1 cup clamato
– 3 limes, juiced
– 1 lime, sliced into wedges
– 1/3 cup tangerine juice
– 7 dashes Tabasco Chipotle Sauce
– 1 tablespoon Tabasco Spicy Salt
– Tequila Don Julio Reposado
In a pitcher, combine vegetable juice, clamato, lime juice, tangerine juice, Tabasco Sauce; stir to combine. Place in refrigerator. In a shallow bowl, add Tabasco Salt. Rub a lime wedge along the rim of a shot glass and dip into salt. Fill glass with sangrita and pair with a shot of tequila.
3 ounces Tequila Don Julio Reposado
3/4 teaspoon Tabasco Original Red Sauce
1/3 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Ground black better
2 teaspoons ground horseradish
4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
16 ounces tomato juice
Celery for garnish
Rim two highball glasses with lemon juice and dip into black pepper. Add Don Julio Reposado, Tabasco, Worcester sauce, celery salt, tomato juice and ground horseradish; stir with bar spoon. Garnish with thin strips of celery.
Makes 2 drinks.
Downing shots of tequila might be the easy part (OK maybe not), but there is always a downside to the next morning, how to recover? Luckily there are five beyond simple instructions. If you do not follow the rules, you will definitely regret ever considering celebrating National Tequila Day:
1. As you count down the minutes until the end of the day, drinks lots of water to prepare for the evening activities ahead.
2. Once it hits 5 o’clock, kick off the night with a round of Tequila Don Julio Blanco shots and Tabasco Sangrita chaser to cleanse the palate with each peppery sip.
3. Balance the tequila with Mexican favorites – tacos, taquitos or quesadillas.
4. Take a quick pic to document the evening, just in case it’s fuzzy later.
5. Cure your tequila hangover with tequila in a Bloody Maria.
Don’t forget to lick, sip and suck!